Vortex Flash Storage Module (FSM) 3U VPX Rugged Solid State Drive
The Vortex 3U VPX (VITA 46 and 48.2) Flash Storage Module (FSM) provides high-performance, high-capacity, solid-state SATA storage with a NIST certified 256-bit encryption capability. The 1″ pitch conduction-cooled solid state storage device utilizes high reliability SLC NAND flash to provide 1 TB of capacity in four banks of 256 GB each. The four banks of flash appear to the host as four separate SATA drives or as a single SATA drive with hardware RAID0 support. Industry standard wear leveling and bad block management is provided. Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions supports both conduction-cooled ruggedization levels 100 and 200.
The onboard micro-controller performs the 256-bit AES encryption key management functions and makes available four modes of key management. The key can be generated either internally or externally and can be stored in battery backed SRAM, EEPROM, or not stored onboard. Fast zeroization of the AES key secures the data and can be initiated by an authorized user, a backplane discrete, and/or a front panel push button. AES key zeroization is generally less than 500 nSec as only the 256-bit AES key need be purged to secure 1 TB of data while typical solid state purge algorithms can take many hours to complete.
The 1 TB FSM has been FIPS 140-2 level 2 certified. FIPS 140-2 is a U.S. government computer security standard used to accredit cryptographic modules.
- FIPS 140-2 level 2 certified
- Front panel three LED’s indicate power, encryption enabled and fault condition.
- AES key zeroization is generally less than 500 nSec (only the 256-bit AES key needs to be purged to secure 1TB of data while typical solid state purge algorithms can take many hours to complete)
- A variety of ruggedization options, including support for the standard Curtiss-Wright conduction-cooled Levels 100 and 200
- Fast zeroization of the AES key that secures the data and can be initiated by an authorized user, a backplane discrete, and/or a front panel push button